Sunday, February 11, 2007

Great progress this weekend

This weekend I experienced some extremely encouraging progress in our upstairs bathroom remodeling project.

First, I finished repairing the cracks in the plaster walls. I’ll cover the techniques I used to patch the various cracks in the coming days. It’s a relief to know that the dirtiest part of this project – sanding the joint compound – is in my rearview mirror. I might need to do a little joint compound work in the shower stall, but it should be as time-consuming as the walls. You can also read my previous posts, Patching plaster cracks with joint compound and Drywall and plaster joint compound tools to see what I’ve covered on the joint compound work up to this point.

The most encouraging portion of the weekend’s work was the fact that it only took me about and hour-and-a-half to remove the cracked paint from the arched ceiling of the shower nook. After finishing the joint compound work, I decided to take a pass at the cracked paint. Low and behold, it came of so “easy” that just a little elbow grease later and I was finished removing the paint from the plaster ceiling. Once again, the fact that I have solid, smooth plaster probably made the paint removal go much faster than if I was working with less rigid drywall. I’ll share photos and the technique I used to remove the paint later this week.

In other bathroom news, I picked up a new, more powerful fan for the bathroom that will need to be installed prior to painting the ceiling. Since I’ll have to remove the old bathroom fan from the attic, I’m hoping I have a week or so before I’m ready for this task. The temperatures are in the teens here lately, and I really don’t want to spend too much time up in that icebox.

I’m also considering new lighting solutions for above the bathroom sink. There’s currently a recessed light housing with three bulbs and frosted glass. Needless to say, it doesn’t provide a great deal of light. We’ve already purchased some halogen bullet lights, but I’m not certain how I’m going to install them. I really don’t want to cut individual holes in the ultra-hard plaster soffit above the sink for the four new lights. Thus, I might build a new wood soffit to house the new lights and attach it to the bottom of the current soffit. It’d be nice to actually use my woodworking tools for once! At this point I’m thinking a simple rectangular frame with some molding on the edges to give it some depth. Once I figure out what I’m going to do and get it approved by the commissioner (my lovely wife), I’ll share what I come up with.

Now, time to relax and work out the kink in my shoulder from all that damn sanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment